Important. Read this! These instructions only cover Taiga to Taiga project migration. Do not follow these guidelines to import projects from other project management tools.
The only other project management tools you can import projects from are Trello, Jira, Asana and Github.
Check our separate documentation on how to import projects from these platforms:
Please DO NOT TRY to import from any other tool not listed above. It will only end up in errors and wasted time.
If you are importing from other Taiga instance, please continue reading.
To export a project and download the “dump file” you have to:
- Log into Taiga.
- Open the Project you wish to export.
- Click the “Settings” menu icon.
- In the center menu pane, click the option “Project Profile” > “Export.”
- On the right-side of the screen, click the green “Export” button.
- If you are using “tree.taiga.io” or an asynchronously configured Taiga instance the export (dump) file will be generated by the server in asynchronous mode and you will receive an email once the export file has been generated.
Asynchronous export result
- If you are exporting from a local instance (or non-Taiga hosted) which is configured to work synchronously (this is a legacy configuration and is currently not recommended), you will see this screen. The JSON file should be downloaded automatically, and if not, you can always click the “here” in the link below.
Synchronous export result
- Your Taiga JSON file looks something like this (if you decide to poke around—please don’t!):
The project import in Taiga doesn’t migrate users, only project data, if you want to keep the users relation with the project correctly, you have to create the users before you import the project. Important, the matching of users with the import data will be done through case-sensitive email addresses.
Once you have a dump of your project, you can import it in other taiga instance.
- In your web browser, sign into the Taiga instance you wish to import the project into.
- Go to your project menu on the top bar, and click on “New Project” button.
New project button
- After that, you can select how to create the project, in this case we want to “Import project”.
Import project button
- You can select which importer do you want to use, in this case, you have to select the “Taiga” importer and choose the previously exported project file (JSON file).
Import Taiga project
- Depending on your instance (tree.taiga.io or an asynchronously configured Taiga instance), you might get a screen that looks like this:
- Click “Accept” and wait for the email similar to the example below:
- Most likely, the import process will succeed and you will see the project appear on the main projects screen:
- Open the project and plan/develop/succeed as you did before!