Installing and hosting taiga on ARM64 based machine

Hello everyone. I have been trying to figure out how to install taiga on an ARM64 based server but unfortunately I couldn’t accomplish that via docker. Is there a way to do it ? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi @m3tr0n,

We don’t have the docker images compiled to be able to deploy them on this architecture yet. However, we know that Taiga works perfectly on ARM64 because it is the architecture we use for our SaaS. You can follow the installation guide to setup Taiga from source code.

Of course it will be something that we will keep in mind for our future major versions.

1 Like

@david.barragan Thank you for the confirmation David. I did try to install it directly from the source code but ran into some problems but now that I know that it is possible, I’m sure a bit of troubleshooting will be all I need to do.

Also yes, a docker image for the ARM64 compatible version will be very helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

@david.barragan Am I supposed to replace rabbitmquser and rabbitmqpassword in

sudo rabbitmqctl add_user rabbitmquser rabbitmqpassword

If yes then maybe the installation guide could use an editing check.

Yes, you can use whatever values ​​you want. But remember that you will have to modify them in the rest of the settings files so that taiga-back and taiga-events can connect with RabbitMQ.

Finally everything connects and functions except that now I get a 403 error when I try to load up the webpage

Ummm, maybe some mistake in the nginx settings

There was an error in the initial configuration provided in the guide. I made it work though so thanks and maybe check the guide for errors if someone in your team has the time for it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Any news about this topic?

I’ve been facing some difficulties while attempting to install Taiga on an ARM64 based server using Docker. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to successfully complete the installation through this method. I’m reaching out to the community to seek guidance and assistance. If anyone has experience or knowledge regarding installing Taiga on an ARM64 architecture or knows an alternative approach that could work, your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice you can provide.

What is the error? Knowing it makes our task easier.

Our SaaS at https://tree.taiga.io works on an ARM infrastructure (amazon). You can follow this guide and install it from source code Install Taiga in Production

I am presently trying to get this to work on a Raspberry Pi 4, running DietPi, a Debian variant.

I installed the docker images according to the setup guide. First issue - the images are amd64, not arm64. however, there is a way using QEMU to apparently run the images.

My new problem is that the gunicorn workers are timing out constantly.

taiga-docker-taiga-back-1             | [2023-12-08 17:58:56 +0000] [1] [CRITICAL] WORKER TIMEOUT (pid:74)
taiga-docker-taiga-back-1             | [2023-12-08 17:58:56 +0000] [1] [CRITICAL] WORKER TIMEOUT (pid:76)
taiga-docker-taiga-back-1             | [2023-12-08 17:58:56 +0000] [1] [CRITICAL] WORKER TIMEOUT (pid:78)
taiga-docker-taiga-back-1             | [2023-12-08 17:58:57 +0000] [1] [WARNING] Worker with pid 76 was terminated due to signal 9
taiga-docker-taiga-back-1             | [2023-12-08 17:58:57 +0000] [1] [WARNING] Worker with pid 78 was terminated due to signal 9
taiga-docker-taiga-back-1             | [2023-12-08 17:58:57 +0000] [1] [WARNING] Worker with pid 74 was terminated due to signal 9
taiga-docker-taiga-back-1             | [2023-12-08 17:58:57 +0000] [80] [INFO] Booting worker with pid: 80
taiga-docker-taiga-back-1             | [2023-12-08 17:58:57 +0000] [82] [INFO] Booting worker with pid: 82
taiga-docker-taiga-back-1             | [2023-12-08 17:58:57 +0000] [84] [INFO] Booting worker with pid: 84

I suspect this might be due to possible emulation. Unfortunately, I am not skilled enough in Docker to attempt to rebuild the containers, nor was I able to build Taiga from scratch on this same machine. I’m unable to get it to work using the full source installation. I assume I’d have to do this to get a docker container that is arm64 native?

Can anyone help figure out this worker error? I am so close to being able to deploy this fully.

Alternatively, can someone please build the latest images for arm64? The best I could find were years old.

Hi, I was also trying to install taiga on a ARM64 instance (oracle cloud - ubuntu). After going through installing from source guide, I was stuck with a 404 on frontend and 403s on static files returned by nginx. (Admin was running fine otherwise).

This error was due to nginx user www-data not being able to read files from taiga user’s home directories.

The default config starts like this and sets www-data as nginx user

/etc/nginx/nginx.conf

user www-data;
worker_processes auto;
pid /run/nginx.pid;
include /etc/nginx/modules-enabled/*.conf;

Adding www-data user to tiaga user’s group solved it for me. Not sure if this is the best way to do.
I hope this helps.