SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server when trying to send E Mail

Hey there,
I recently installed Taiga and tried to setup the Outgoing E-Mail Connection since about 3 Weeks.

I’m using MailCow as Mail Provider wich requires Plain Authentication wich may be the Problem here.
The Question is how to activate plain auth in here? Or am I doing something wrong?

Configuration:
The E-Mail Backend usage of smtp or console just resulted in logging module not found
So after grinding into Django mail in found this (Also saw it on a different topic here but not including the Auth Methods):
EMAIL_BACKEND: 'django.core.mail.backends.smtp.EmailBackend'

This worked cause with other things it was always not reaching.
EMAIL_USE_TLS: True
EMAIL_USE_SSL: False
EMAIL_PORT: 587

The Configuration is docker Environment more specific the inside x-environment: from the official taiga docker compose file.

Here my Logs from using ./manage.py test_emails example@example.org on taiga-back container. By the way same issues with starting the shell with ./manage.py shell and importing the smtp module there and using the send_mail function.

Log:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/taiga-back/./manage.py", line 17, in <module> execute_from_command_line(sys.argv) File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 419, in execute_from_command_line utility.execute() File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 413, in execute self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv) File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 354, in run_from_argv self.execute(*args, **cmd_options) File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 398, in execute output = self.handle(*args, **options) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/taiga-back/taiga/base/management/commands/test_emails.py", line 48, in handle email.send() File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/mail/message.py", line 284, in send return self.get_connection(fail_silently).send_messages([self]) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/mail/backends/smtp.py", line 102, in send_messages new_conn_created = self.open() ^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/mail/backends/smtp.py", line 69, in open self.connection.login(self.username, self.password) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/smtplib.py", line 716, in login raise SMTPNotSupportedError(
smtplib.SMTPNotSupportedError: SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server.

Thanks for you help!
Always feel free to ask for information.

Hi @Limecode

The error you describe is something returned by the SMTP mail server. Django tries to authenticate with the user/pass that you have indicated through port 587 (with TLS enabled) and the server indicates that this SMTP authentication system is not supported by the server.

I have not used that SMTP server and I don’t know where the error could be. Apparently your configuration is correct.

EMAIL_BACKEND=smtp
EMAIL_HOST=smtp.host.example.com # your host here
EMAIL_PORT=587
EMAIL_HOST_USER=user  # your user here
EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD=password  # your password here
EMAIL_DEFAULT_FROM=changeme@example.com  # your sender email addreass
EMAIL_USE_TLS=True
EMAIL_USE_SSL=False

I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful.