New Docker-based install, trying to create superuser

Good morning,

Found this project this morning, so built a Docker server, pulled the repo, edited the configs, and started things up.

I initially tried the launch_all.sh script, but since we just want to test the product, I switched to launch_taiga.sh - Things appear to have started, however when I run the ./taiga-manage.sh createsuperuser command (I did edit all the scripts to use docker compose instead of docker-compose so they all work), I get the error below.

If I browse to 9000 over ssh, I get the login page, so things do seem to be running, I just can’t sign in. Also, this is running on a .dev domain, so no port 80 access via the included proxy.

Ideas?

./taiga-manage.sh createsuperuser
+ exec docker compose -f docker-compose.yml -f docker-compose-inits.yml run --rm taiga-manage createsuperuser
WARN[0000] Found orphan containers ([taiga-docker-penpot-frontend-1 taiga-docker-penpot-backend-1 taiga-docker-penpot-postgres-1 taiga-docker-penpot-redis-1 taiga-docker-penpot-exporter-1]) for this project. If you removed or renamed this service in your compose file, you can run this command with the --remove-orphans flag to clean it up.
[+] Running 1/0
 ⠿ Container taiga-docker-taiga-db-1  Running                                                                         0.0s

You have 142 unapplied migration(s). Your project may not work properly until you apply the migrations for app(s): contact, custom_attributes, djmail, easy_thumbnails, epics, external_apps, feedback, github, gitlab, gogs, history, issues, likes, milestones, notifications, projects, references, sessions, settings, tasks, telemetry, timeline, token_denylist, users, userstorage, userstories, votes, webhooks, wiki.
Run 'python manage.py migrate' to apply them.

Username: taigatest
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/utils.py", line 84, in _execute
    return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
psycopg2.errors.UndefinedColumn: column users_user.uuid does not exist
LINE 1: ..._user"."last_login", "users_user"."is_superuser", "users_use...
                                                             ^
HINT:  Perhaps you meant to reference the column "users_user.id".

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "manage.py", line 17, in <module>
    execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 381, in execute_from_command_line
    utility.execute()
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 375, in execute
    self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 323, in run_from_argv
    self.execute(*args, **cmd_options)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/management/commands/createsuperuser.py", line 61, in execute
    return super().execute(*args, **options)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 364, in execute
    output = self.handle(*args, **options)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/management/commands/createsuperuser.py", line 95, in handle
    error_msg = self._validate_username(username, verbose_field_name, database)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/management/commands/createsuperuser.py", line 201, in _validate_username
    self.UserModel._default_manager.db_manager(database).get_by_natural_key(username)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/base_user.py", line 44, in get_by_natural_key
    return self.get(**{self.model.USERNAME_FIELD: username})
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/models/manager.py", line 82, in manager_method
    return getattr(self.get_queryset(), name)(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 402, in get
    num = len(clone)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 256, in __len__
    self._fetch_all()
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 1242, in _fetch_all
    self._result_cache = list(self._iterable_class(self))
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 55, in __iter__
    results = compiler.execute_sql(chunked_fetch=self.chunked_fetch, chunk_size=self.chunk_size)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py", line 1142, in execute_sql
    cursor.execute(sql, params)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/raven/contrib/django/client.py", line 127, in execute
    return real_execute(self, sql, params)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/utils.py", line 67, in execute
    return self._execute_with_wrappers(sql, params, many=False, executor=self._execute)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/utils.py", line 76, in _execute_with_wrappers
    return executor(sql, params, many, context)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/utils.py", line 84, in _execute
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 89, in __exit__
    raise dj_exc_value.with_traceback(traceback) from exc_value
django.db.utils.ProgrammingError: column users_user.uuid does not exist
LINE 1: ..._user"."last_login", "users_user"."is_superuser", "users_use...
                                                             ^
HINT:  Perhaps you meant to reference the column "users_user.id".

Well, I ran the mentioned migrations and now it let’s me create a superuser:

Username: taigatest
Email address: taigatest@taigagoeshere.com
Password:
Password (again):
Superuser created successfully.

I created one initially with a lengthy password and tried unsuccessfully to sign in, and another with abc as the password, which also will not sign in.

Any ideas what I might have missed?

Hi @greybear
the problem in the first step was that you needed to give the launch a bit more time so the migrations end (thay are a bit slow).

After creating a superuser successfully you should be able to login. Check the logs docker logs -f to see if there is more information.

Aha, thank you. So if I can get this working I’ll rebuild since I ran into several issues along the way which may have been a lack of patience.

Everything now works great, but I am unable to get the built-in nginx to listen on 443 instead of 80 (which is unavailable for a .dev domain). I changed the various settings to https and https://domain where required, and the ws:// to wss:// as in the docs, but it still comes up on 80. Putting my own nginx (installed in system, not docker) in front of everything opens up the site for remote access, but I get the error message mentioned in another thread on here.

Question: Should we be configuring the docker nginx container, or is another copy of nginx required? Not sure about that. I didn’t see any relevant errors in the system nginx, docker nginx, or the -front container logs so I was stuck.

G

Hi @greybear

taiga-gateway works internally with http, delegating https to the proxy in your host. So your nginx/apache/other should be in charge of SSL if you want to (and you should want ssl).

Cheers!

I am stuck here as well, but I do not know how to run a migration. Can someone help walk me through how to do that step by step? Thank you!

In case I am running into a different issue, this is what happens when I try to run sudo ./taiga-manage.sh createsuperuser

WARN[0000] Found orphan containers ([taiga-docker-penpot-frontend-1 taiga-docker-penpot-backend-1 taiga-docker-penpot-postgres-1 taiga-docker-penpot-redis-1 taiga-docker-penpot-exporter-1]) for this project. If you removed or renamed this service in your compose file, you can run this command with the --remove-orphans flag to clean it up.
[+] Creating 1/0
 ✔ Container taiga-docker-taiga-db-1  Running                              0.0s
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/base/base.py", line 219, in ensure_connection
    self.connect()
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/utils/asyncio.py", line 33, in inner
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/base/base.py", line 200, in connect
    self.connection = self.get_new_connection(conn_params)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/utils/asyncio.py", line 33, in inner
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/postgresql/base.py", line 187, in get_new_connection
    connection = Database.connect(**conn_params)
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/psycopg2/__init__.py", line 122, in connect
    conn = _connect(dsn, connection_factory=connection_factory, **kwasync)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
psycopg2.OperationalError: connection to server at "taiga-db" (172.19.0.4), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "sysadmin"

File "/taiga-back/manage.py", line 17, in <module>
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 419, in execute_from_command_line
    utility.execute()
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 413, in execute
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 354, in run_from_argv
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/management/commands/createsuperuser.py", line 79, in execute
    return super().execute(*args, **options)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 397, in execute
    self.check_migrations()
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 486, in check_migrations
    executor = MigrationExecutor(connections[DEFAULT_DB_ALIAS])
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/migrations/executor.py", line 18, in __init__
    self.loader = MigrationLoader(self.connection)
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/migrations/loader.py", line 53, in __init__
    self.build_graph()
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/migrations/loader.py", line 214, in build_graph
    self.load_disk()
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/migrations/loader.py", line 116, in load_disk
    migration_module = import_module(migration_path)
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/importlib/__init__.py", line 126, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1204, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1176, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1147, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 690, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 940, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 241, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/taiga-back/taiga/projects/migrations/0046_triggers_to_update_tags_colors.py", line 50, in <module>
    class Migration(migrations.Migration):
  File "/taiga-back/taiga/projects/migrations/0046_triggers_to_update_tags_colors.py", line 86, in Migration
    migrations.RunSQL(_get_agg_array_agg_mult()),
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/taiga-back/taiga/projects/migrations/0046_triggers_to_update_tags_colors.py", line 16, in _get_agg_array_agg_mult
    pg_version = connection.cursor().connection.server_version
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/base/base.py", line 259, in cursor
    return self._cursor()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/base/base.py", line 235, in _cursor
    self.ensure_connection()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/base/base.py", line 218, in ensure_connection
    with self.wrap_database_errors:
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 90, in __exit__
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/base/base.py", line 219, in ensure_connection
    self.connect()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/base/base.py", line 200, in connect
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/postgresql/base.py", line 187, in get_new_connection
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/psycopg2/__init__.py", line 122, in connect
django.db.utils.OperationalError: connection to server at "taiga-db" (172.19.0.4), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "sysadmin"

Ok so I figured out how to migrate, but it seems that any command I enter after sudo ./taiga-manage.sh return the same errors. I have tried changing the postgres username and password in .env as well as stopping all containers, deleting taiga-docker and starting from scratch. No matter what I do I get the same errors at this point

self.connect()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
psycopg2.OperationalError: connection to server at "taiga-db" (172.19.0.2), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "sysadmin"

File "/taiga-back/manage.py", line 17, in <module>
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 419, in execute_from_command_line
    utility.execute()
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 413, in execute
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 354, in run_from_argv
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 398, in execute
    output = self.handle(*args, **options)
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 89, in wrapped
    res = handle_func(*args, **kwargs)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/commands/migrate.py", line 75, in handle
    self.check(databases=[database])
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 419, in check
    all_issues = checks.run_checks(
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/checks/registry.py", line 76, in run_checks
    new_errors = check(app_configs=app_configs, databases=databases)
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/core/checks/model_checks.py", line 34, in check_all_models
    errors.extend(model.check(**kwargs))
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py", line 1303, in check
    *cls._check_indexes(databases),
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py", line 1695, in _check_indexes
    connection.features.supports_covering_indexes or
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/utils/functional.py", line 48, in __get__
    res = instance.__dict__[self.name] = self.func(instance)
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/postgresql/features.py", line 92, in is_postgresql_11
    return self.connection.pg_version >= 110000
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/utils/functional.py", line 48, in __get__
    res = instance.__dict__[self.name] = self.func(instance)
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/postgresql/base.py", line 329, in pg_version
    with self.temporary_connection():
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/contextlib.py", line 137, in __enter__
    return next(self.gen)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/base/base.py", line 603, in temporary_connection
    with self.cursor() as cursor:
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/base/base.py", line 259, in cursor
    return self._cursor()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/base/base.py", line 235, in _cursor
    self.ensure_connection()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/backends/base/base.py", line 218, in ensure_connection
    with self.wrap_database_errors:
  File "/opt/venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 90, in __exit__
    self.connect()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
django.db.utils.OperationalError: connection to server at "taiga-db" (172.19.0.2), port 5432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "sysadmin"

hi @GroBot

the error

FATAL: password authentication failed for user "sysadmin"

indicates that there is a problem with the credentials. Check them and ensure you have then properly set.

Cheers!

Thanks for the response. I have tried changing the credentials in .env, but no matter what I change them to, I get the same error. Is there anywhere else I need to change the credentials?

I recommend you try to login manually in the database, to confirm that the credentials are correct.

You can expose the db port to your host, so you can use your psql client or, faster, you can docker exec in the db container and use the psql client that the postgres image include.

I’ll give this a shot, but my understanding of databases is pretty limited. Is there a way to start the install from scratch? I have tried deleting everything in taiga-docker and cloning the repository again, but I still run into this issue.

If you want to start over, you need to stop and delete the containers. docker compose down. In this case you can delete the db volumen as well.

Check this out: docker compose ps shows all the containers are up and running?

Then, run everything without changing the values in .env file. Does it work?

Anyway, if you have migrated, this operation already connected to the database.

Cheers!

A fresh install of ubuntu fixed the issue. Thanks for your help.