Schedule management and Gantt Diagram for Taiga (Implementation ready for review)

Proposal: Schedule management and Gantt enhancements for Taiga

Hi Taiga community,

I have been working on a Schedule Management extension for Taiga, with the goal of making project timelines, dependencies, and delivery risks easier to manage directly inside the platform.

The implementation brings epics, user stories, and tasks into a unified schedule and adds an interactive Gantt workflow. The work spans Taiga’s Django and Django REST Framework backend, the AngularJS frontend, and the modern Angular navigation shell.

Demo

Demonstration of the Schedule Management extension

What has been implemented

- A unified activity list with search, filters, sorting, configurable columns, and scheduling fields.

- An interactive Gantt chart with a hierarchical activity tree, date editing, bar movement and resizing, zoom controls, reordering, and undo/redo support.

- Visual dependencies between activities, including cascading date changes across connected work.

- Critical path highlighting and slack information to help identify the activities that affect the project completion date.

- Persistent Gantt ordering with backend safeguards for concurrent position updates.

- Granular permissions for viewing the schedule and Gantt chart, as well as modifying dates, links, colors, and item order.

- Server-side permission enforcement so restricted operations are rejected even when the client state is stale.

Screenshots

Unified activity list

Interactive Gantt chart

Critical path

Granular permissions

Code and technical documentation

The integration repository, setup instructions, case study, and technical documentation are available here:

Taiga Schedule Management

The implementation is divided across these component repositories:

taiga-front changes

taiga-back changes

taiga-front-next changes

(Since I’m a new user on here, I can’t post more than 2 links, but you can find each repositorie on my github)

Upstream contribution

I would like to contribute this work back to the official Taiga repositories and, if the maintainers consider it useful and aligned with the project’s direction, see it merged upstream.

I understand that a contribution of this size may need to be revised, split into smaller pull requests, adapted to current architectural decisions, or supported by additional tests and documentation. I am fully willing to make those changes and work with the maintainers throughout the review process.

I would especially appreciate feedback on whether this functionality fits Taiga’s roadmap and on the best way to structure the upstream pull requests.

Thank you for taking the time to review it.

-–

P.S. I’m currently open to remote international opportunities as a Backend Software Engineer. My primary background is in Python, Django, Flask, REST APIs, PostgreSQL, Docker, and service integrations, with specialized experience in authentication, identity federation, PKI, digital certificates, and digital signatures. If your team is looking for a backend engineer with experience in both software development and identity/security systems, I’d be happy to connect.

P.S. 2 I have also developed a separate Taiga implementation focused on financial management. It includes hierarchical planned and actual hours and costs for epics, user stories, and tasks; planned-cost allocation by category; member hourly rates with validity periods; manual and timer-based time tracking; project income records and a financial dashboard; change history; and granular finance permissions. I plan to present that work separately, but I would be happy to share more details with anyone interested.

3 Likes

This is interesting. Please do let us know more about this once you ready.

I have not deep dived yet into your repositories but this is interesting to hear. Keep it up! I also do hope these get added to the Taiga framework.